Number of business entities in the industry
In 2014, according to recent data of Central Statistical Office of Poland, there were a little over 200,000 industry-related business entities (mainly in mining, extractive and power industries, water management as well as manufacturing in its broadest sense) registered in Poland. Among them, 1% was state-owned and the other 99% belonged to the private sector – mainly domestic with over 194,000 businesses as well as foreign with only 3,263 entities.
Total value of production marketed in the industry
The production marketed index in the industry (i.e. the total net profit of the business and the overall sale of products) has been constantly and systematically increasing in the last decade. In 2005, it amounted to the total value of PLN 687.8 billion for all industry-related business entities, and five years later it would be higher by 43.3% (PLN 985.7 bn). Since then, during the next five years the index increased again up to PLN 1.2 trillion (an increase by 22.8% compared to 2010 and by 75.9% compared to 2005).
Production marketed of industry-related business entities in 2005-2014 presented in current prices (in PLN bn)
Industry production marketed in public and private sectors
In 2014, the financial results of business entities in the industrial sector maintained a parallel relationship as in the case of division into sectors, though there were more considerable discrepancies formed as can be noted. The production marketed in State Treasury companies amounted to PLN 132.4 bn in current prices, which constitutes 10.9% of the total value. In case of the companies financed with private capital this value amounted to PLN 1.1 tn, which is the remaining 89.1%. This has been presented in the diagram below.
Production marketed of industry-related business entities with division into public and private sectors (in PLN bn)
It is worth mentioning that given the division of the private sector into domestic and foreign property, the former slightly prevails with its production marketed of up to PLN 539.9 bn, compared to the latter of up to PLN 455.6 bn.
Employment in the Polish industrial sector
The number of people employed in industrial businesses that constantly undertake activities have remained at relatively the same level for a decade, between 2,629,000 and 2,696,000. At present, the majority of the employees, i.e. 88.4% (2,367,000) are employed in the private sector, and the remaining 309,000 employees find themselves employed in State Treasury companies. As can be noted, the recent decade has shown a decrease in the number of people employed in the industry in the public sector, and an increase in those hired in the private sector. This has been presented in the table below.
|People employed in the industry||Public sector||Private sector|
Remuneration in Polish industry
In 2014, the average monthly gross remuneration in industrial companies amounted to PLN 3,876.91. Compared to 2010, an increase by 19.0% has been noted, and in reference to the indices from before 10 years, salaries in the industry have generally increased by 64.2%. Similarly, the growth tendencies during the last decade are also noticeable in particular types of enterprises, both in the public and private sectors. It is worth mentioning that higher salaries are offered by state-owned companies – statistically by 1/3 in comparison with the average salary in private companies. The diagram below presents detailed data in this respect.
Average monthly gross remuneration in industrial companies with division into public and private sectors
Source: Central Statistical Office of Poland, Industrial Statistical Yearbook, Warsaw 2015.